Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

I think I'm becoming a social creature

My enormous and amazing family was here for most of last week and I spent every minute possible with them. We all crammed ourselves into our kitchen, we all ate dinner together every nite, we went to ESPN Zone together, we did museums together, we rode in the bus together, on the train together... And when they pulled away from the city on Thursday morning, I was truly sad to see that bus leave. I LOVED having them all in our house and I enjoyed all the craziness of preparing meals for so many people. In truth, I never cooked alone -- there was always some teenaged person standing next to me, asking me if I needed his or her help. We stayed up until almost 1 a.m. every single nite, just because I didn't want to end our conversations.

So the family left on Thursday and then Thursday evening, we met our two local friends (yes, there's two of them) for dinner together, since we would be gone for the entire weekend. After dinner, we hopped in our car and drove ourselves to Brooklyn to see our two grown-up friends and one toddler friend there. I loved being with each of them every minute. When we weren't hanging out in their always hospitable house, we were walking the streets, mingling with the crowds, being a part of the world. I didn't feel misanthropic at all.

As soon as we got back to our town, we drove straight to our local friends' house for dinner. And then we had them over for dinner last nite. I just can't seem to get enough of people. I can't explain it.

I wish I understood why I'm having this sudden change of attitude. Is it because I've been hanging out with such good people that I can see more good in the world? That explanation has some holes in it -- it's not like I've been hangin' out with creepos for the past couple of years or anything. Is it because we've been working so hard at home that our house feels good to me? Is it because the days are getting longer and I'm actually getting some of those good sunshine drugs that my body needs? Whatever the reason, I wish I could bottle it and save it for those days (months on end, actually) when I want to hide from humanity, or worse.

Since I don't know where this comes from or how long it will last, you oughta just come on over and hang out with us right now. You know, get it while the gettin's good!

7 comments:

sparklestone said...

One problem: I think our recent change in lifestyle is directly causing a change in our dog's behavior.

Solution: each one of the myriads of people visiting our house must pull one book off the bookshelf, show it to the mutt, say "See this? Don't eat it!!" and then whap him over the head with it until eventually he associates that entire side of the room with cranial pain.

Sylow_P said...

What's in the book?

PAIN!

What'd he eat? "Leaving the house; For Dummies"?

And as for all the creepos you use to hang out with, we all moved away.

Miss Kate said...

Well, if it was the creepos moving away that woulda solved it, then I wouldn't have been so cranky for so long, right? Maybe the truth is that I'm only now getting over the heartache of not being near you every day, Sylow.

Sylow_P said...

Ah, shucks. Miss Kate always knows the right thing to say. You're even nice when I'm trying to be an obnoxious baffoon.

Miss Kate said...

I told you that I'm feelin' good!

sparklestone said...

Update: No books eaten yesterday. Might be because I locked him in a closet that didn't have any books in it.

Sylow_P said...

Poor Sammy. It's no wonder he lashes out.