Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

I unpacked our champagne flutes this weekend

When I was growing up, my mother had a very fancy set of china and silver that she received when she and my father got married. Those dishes lived in a cabinet and I never remember eating from them even once. I am of a different mind about using nice things. My husband and I use our special dishes every Friday night and on any other special occasion that we can think of. I think that the fancy goods get more special the more we use them, not based on the rarity of their use.

I have been known to make a celebration at the drop of a hat (or a leaf or a dishtowel or whatever). When my husband and I left our comfy-but-cloying life in the American midwest to move to the exciting-but-draining life on the East Coast, a confluence of stressors conspired to make me forget that practice. That's a shame.

But I'm back! I'm remembering how important it is to make a big deal out of the little deals. If we don't do that, then months and months just pass without any recognition of all the fun, laughter, joy, accomplishments, and friendship that we live through every day.

Plus, I really like champagne.

4 comments:

Scott said...

I love having grand evenings for no apparent reason.
The Wife and I like celebrating things like Thursdays (the only night of the week I'm not in class), the anniversary of the day we had dinner for the 14th time (or the 47th or 2nd), or surviving the week.
Good on ya for remembering not to forget!

sparklestone said...

Me, I don't care for champagne. But I know you and you'd let me trample Emily Post and drink a black russian out of a champagne flute.

What say you to making some mojitos or something on Thursday? According to my calendar, it's Not In Class Day (Canada).

Miss Kate said...

Not in Class Day sounds like a great reason to celebrate. How's about some caipirinhas? You + Me + cocktails?

mary bishop said...

Hey Miss Kate...I found you from Sylow P through sparklestone by way of captain underpants.

I adore champagne so this post caught my eye - then I saw the magic word: caipirinha!

What brand cachaça do you use? How do you make them? White sugar or brown? I love these brain killers so much I'm waiting for cheap limes so I can make a bucket.

If you are busy and don't want to answer that's fine..who needs a nosy newbie questioning you about drinks?..but if not, I'd like to know.