Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Working with my Man

My family is coming to stay in our house in about 2 weeks. My family -- the ones who get to stay with me -- will number about 12 when they descend upon us. They're willing to sleep anywhere and they cook for themselves and they talk to each other and to anyone around them constantly. I cannot wait until they get here! I talk more around them in about 24 hours then I normally talk in a week!

My husband is very nervous about their coming, and I don't blame him.

There's one good thing about their impending arrival for him -- we're painting and that means that we get to hang art on the walls. When we moved our stuff into the house over a year ago, he wanted to hang up our pictures immediately. I insisted that we would not hang art on the ugly, dirty, papered walls -- I insisted that we live with the bare ugly walls, lest we lose our motivation to beautify the place. So here we are -- we've now done everything that it takes to get to the point of applying paint of an actual color to the walls.

My husband and I both like color. The only white paint that will be around when we're finished here is on the ceiling and trim. We've had some fun choosing colors, but sometimes it leads to a little bit of anxiety. We are currently painting our living room a Magic Color. When we first started applying it, we were both pretty scared. It looked like some peach color that came straight from one of Don Johnson's t-shirts when he was on that Miami show (I don't think that my husband ever watched that show). But right now, the color looks even better to me than I expected it to.

Before it had morphed away from the Miami color, though, my husband and I spent a few minutes feeling each other out on what would happen if the paint didn't turn out the way we wanted it to. We each took turns being positive and negative about it, until we finally mutually agreed that we would paint the room with the paint we have and if we don't like it, we'll deal with it later. In this case, later most likely means about 24 months down the road.

I like working with this guy. Not a lotta pressure. And he is sooooo good-lookin'.

3 comments:

sparklestone said...

Never. Never seen it. Not one episode. Don't know the theme song. Didn't stop me from trying to dress like Don Johnson's character back when I was in Junior High.

Sylow_P said...

Junior High? Don't you mean grad school? Underneath that technicolor dream coat it was Don Johnson all the time.

sparklestone said...

I am actually often mistaken on the street for Don Johnson. No wait. Paul Giamatti. I always get those two mixed up.