Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ms. Manners does not approve

I have this thing about manners: I love 'em. Manners help us live comfortably with one another and are an obvious way to show respect to others who happen to share the same space as you at any given moment.

The best gifts my birth mother gave to me was to teach me to always say please and thank you; to put my napkin in my lap before taking a bite of food; and to chew with my mouth closed. I loved learning the proper way to set a table and if I'm faced with more than 4 utensils at a setting, I can cipher which fork to use. I'm proud that my best friend refers to me as an authority on protocol because she considers me a Southern Belle. (Yes, she grew up in a different country than this one and she doesn't know many other Southern Ladies -- I'm still proud).

My love of manners puts me in the habit of wanting to avoid embarrassing another person. That's why when a student in an advanced degree program at Prestigious University buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrppppppped during my lecture today, my reaction was a very subdued, "That's Nice. That's Very Classy," and then I proceeded with my point.

What I really wanted to say was, "Look, you spoiled, punk-ass medical student! You don't know what I'm talking about and I do. So sit up and pay attention!" However, that's his momma's job. If my mother could do it, I know his momma could.

I have dreams that out of those 140+ students sitting in the auditorium during that lecture, one of them will suffer embarrassment on behalf of that classmate and email an apology to me. One of the things about having good manners is that you expect that someone else in the room will know how to respond. However, another trait of a person of good manners is that she treats others personally while she avoids taking personally most of the actions of others.

Fucking brat.


13 comments:

sparklestone said...

ooh. i was just gonna comment on this (probably something about how I got straight A's back when I was in Gentleman School) when I saw this checkers set in the catalog on our table where the pieces are round and square shot glasses. we should get that. not only can i drink you under the table but my skill in checkers is supoib.

Anonymous said...

In addition to manners you have demonstrated another excellent skill – the skill to never sink to the level of your opponent. Excellent to acknowledge that he just made a total ass of himself and that you are above that. As always you’ve shown style and class – a true Southern Belle (in the good sense, Honey). He embarrassed only himself and perhaps those students who were also brought up with manners and common sense.

Sadly, he wouldn’t be the first to graduate from a prestigious school and continue to make an ass of himself, as is demonstrated by one of our most influential ivy league graduates. Vielen Dank auch!

sparklestone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sparklestone said...

OK. I am using this blogspace as a forum to make a personal challenge. #9, you hear me? This is for you! Me and you! A pitcher of Old Fashioneds and we'll fill up those chess pieces (see comment 1) and have a go.

(subchallenge) The owner of this blog has impugned that we are a coupla lightweights and would be passed out before we finished the first game. I say we make it best of seven.

Sylow_P said...

Apparently, Sparklestone is afraid to play whiskey checkers with me. You're not as naive as I thought.

Wait, isn't it bad manners to use someone else's blog to advertise your own weaknesses?

sparklestone said...

Whiskey checkers? I don't think so. It is OLD FASHIONEDS checkers. They make Apple Mamas seem like O'Douls.
You want winners?

Sylow_P said...

Me play the winner? Well, okay. But I think you two might have a better chance if you play as a team.

Miss Kate said...

Sylow, I know you don't wanna waste your time on a game of whiskey checkers with those pantywaists.... We all know that the only interesting game of whiskey checkers around here will be the one between you and me. You name the time and place and we'll show those lightweights how it's done. King Me!

Anonymous said...

Nine don't get called out. Nine don't lower himself to challenges. Nine is above pettiness. Nine is above drunkeness. Nine is love. When nine is embraced, infinity is embraced, and all that is unknown is known.9

sparklestone said...

translation: nine is a friggin' wuss!

Fabian said...

Interesting stuff....makes one think.

Fabian said...

Interesting stuff....makes one think.

sparklestone said...

Sounds like Miss Kate, Sylow and I are playin' some checkers. Meanwhile, Nine will be embracing and loving hisself. We may have to ask you to do that in another room.