Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Yowza

Last night we watched Syriana, directed by Stephen Gaghan. The Netflix sleeve on the disc started with the following:
George Clooney (who gained 30 lbs. for the role) plays CIA operative Robert Baer...
...as if that 30 pounds were the most significant accomplishment of the movie! It must be fun to write those blurbs for a living.

Syriana is a spooky movie. The director did a fine job of playing the movie out like a drama, rather than a conspiracy film from the beginning - it wasn't really until the movie was over that I figured I'd been manipulated. I also acknowledge that I want to feel like I've been manipulated so that I don't have to believe that there's any truth in the movie. Unfortunately, I can't quite convince myself that it's all untrue.

I'm starting to realize that I really enjoy movies with settings in the DC area. I love living here and I do like to see our local places in film. We recently watched Breach, directed by Billy Ray, also filmed around here. One of my co-workers pointed out that it was a DC movie that was filmed very well - it really did stay true to the landscape and the area. Nobody's come out to our house yet, but that's bound to happen sometime, right?

1 comment:

sparklestone said...

Thirty pounds, schmirty pounds! What about the scragglebeard?