Born to hand-jive, Baby.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

26.2

I've recently started running again and it's going very well. Three years ago, when we moved to this area, I had decided to train for a marathon. I was really enjoying running long distances - and I was well on my way. I had a running partner who lived just down the street from me - she and I would meet at 5:30 a.m. to go for 4-5 miles -- it was often dark at that time of morning, so it was great to have a partner for safety and company. Also during that time, I had a really crappy job where my bosses had no work for me to do, so it was no problem for me to take 2-hour lunches to go run for 6 miles and then lift weights, shower, etc, and get back to work. I was running a LOT.

I was running too much - so much so that I hurt myself really badly. Thousands of dollars of physical therapy badly. Badly enough that my longest run ever was 16 miles and my only race was a half-marathon. It was a real disappointment that I wasn't able to run that marathon. It has taken a very long time for me to heal and to learn how to take care of myself when running - I think I'm there.

It feels really good to run, both when I'm at it and the other 23 hours of my day. I'm slowly working on adding distance - I'm much more interested in distance than speed - and I'm now up to about 16 miles / week. Without pain.

I'm gonna run a marathon at some point, dammit. I want a bumper sticker that says 26.2.

3 comments:

Sylow_P said...

Boy, I had no idea that that's what those bumper stickers meant. Guess I'd better go scrape that sucker off my truck.

Scott said...

I have to admit, I'm not entirely clear on what the 26th of February has to do with running marathons...

Miss Kate said...

Oh you funny Canadian with your funny Canadian ways of telling time and keeping dates. If it was Feb 26 that I was talking about, the 2 would come first!